Are you wondering how to make Fortnite run better on your Mac?
You’re in the right place!
Fortnite for OSX isn’t as good as many of the other platforms because of the integrated graphics feature.
But don’t worry. You can play Fortnite in the cloud using your Mac. What’s more, you can play your game on another device, right where you stopped for just $9.99 per month.
the quality of Fortnite gameplay
If you have a new model of Mac, you can try to fix this problem to provide the ultimate gaming machine.
This is why it is important to know the best Fortnite settings for Mac to get the best out of the game and … achieve the Victory Royale!
After reading this guide you will:
- Know the system requirements to be able to play Fortnite
- Learn how to optimize your Mac system for optimum gameplay performances
- Discover the other options to play Fortnite on Mac if your system doesn’t meet the required specifications
Let’s get started!
1. What are the Mac Fortnite System Requirements?
To be able to get Fortnite on Mac, your system needs to at least have some minimum specifications to facilitate gameplay.
The minimum specifications are similar to gamers who are using the Windows Operating System.
According to Epic, these are the minimum specs:
- Video Card: Intel HD 4000
- Processor: Core i3 2.4 Ghz
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Operating System: Mac OS Sierra (or later)
- Mac computers must support Metal API
These Mac computers support Metal:
- MacBook models introduced in 2015 or later
- MacBook Air models introduced in 2012 or later
- MacBook Pro models introduced in 2012 or later
- Mac mini models introduced in 2012 or later
- iMac models introduced in 2012 or later
- iMac Pro (all models)
- Mac Pro models introduced in late 2013, plus mid-2010 or mid-2012 models with a recommended Metal-capable graphics card.
Scared, because your Mac does not reach any of those requirements?
Do not fear.
Take your game from your computer to the cloud and play Fortnite online.
What does cloud gaming offer you?
You don’t have to worry about any system requirements as your game is only displayed on your computer.
What’s great about playing in a cloud is that you’re not limited to just your Mac. You can also play on your mobile anytime and anywhere!
Gaming on a cloud-based platform will be the easiest option for you to play Fortnite on your Mac. But if you want to discover other solutions and learn how to install the game, continue reading.
2. How To Install Fortnite On Your Mac
Now that your Mac has the minimum Fortnite system requirements, you can download and install the game.
Here’s how to install Fortnite on Mac:
- Head to the Epic Games website and download the game.
- When the download is complete, run the Epic Games Launcher installer and follow the on-screen directions.
- Create a new Epic Games account or sign in using an existing account if you’ve played on any another platform.
- By default, the launcher should open to the Fortnite page.
- If not, click the Fortnite on the top bar then click “install” to install Fortnite on Mac.
After the game is installed you’re one click away from playing Fortnite on Mac, just hit play and get started!
Bonus: How To Play Fortnite Without Downloading
But why would you want to know how to play Fortnite without downloading?
Well, maybe your system does not meet the required specs so you need an alternative.
Or you may have an older version Mac which results in your gaming experience being obstructed by a lot of unpleasant lags (learn about Fortnite lag) during gameplay.
3. Install Windows On Your Mac
Yes, you read that correctly!
I am not suggesting that you get a Windows computer, but I am saying that you can use the Windows Operating System (OS).
Before you decide to skip this section, here’s why this works well.
Many games run better on the Windows Operating System and you can use this to your advantage.
You can use both Windows and Mac Operating Systems at the same time without affecting each other.
Apple has a program called Boot Camp that makes it possible to install Microsoft Windows on your Mac.
When you start the computer you’ll have the option whether you want to use the Mac or Windows OS.
Install Fortnite on the Windows OS and get better Fortnite playing experience!
4. Use These Minor Tips To Get Major Results
If you’re a gamer, you know how frustrating it is to experience lag during gameplay.
It sucks because you’re at a disadvantage when playing against others.
To avoid the lag, there are some minor tweaks that you can use to minimize this, especially if your system is not up to date.
Many of the below described tweaks will result in a compromise of things like visual and sound but there are other options that would bypass making compromises.
If you don’t want to make any compromises, consider playing Fortnite in the cloud. You won’t have to worry about any system specs. The best quality of your gameplay will be guaranteed by the servers that do the heavy lifting for your device.
If you prefer to play Fortnite on your Mac, here are some tweaks you should apply to improve performance:
5. Full-Screen mode
Allow your computer to be it’s best so that you can do your best during gameplay. Many gamers use windowed full screen mode. Avoid this at all times!
Use Fullscreen only.
This allows your computer to handle the game easier and will boost system performance.
6. Set all systems to low
To boost gameplay by improving Framerate per second (FPS) you might have to sacrifice some visual effects.
Of course, whether or not you have to use this tip will be directly related to how good your Mac is.
Also, in settings, you can increase the Anti-Aliasing and Post Processing to maybe medium (instead of low) or even higher. These two won’t directly affect FPS and won’t need to be turned all the way down.
Look at the example below:
7. Don’t run any programs in the background
Don’t run other applications while gaming. It hinders the overall performance of the operating system. Before the start of the game, close all other applications.
If you are one of those gamers that prefer to play with a bit of background music, or a voice over internet app like Discord or Skype to chat with other gamers during gameplay, that’s okay.
But close all other applications.
8. Set audio quality to low
Audio quality may be a minor tip, relative to the others, but if you want the best performance you can get you should apply as many tweaks as possible.
Based on reports from many experienced gamers, this helps to improve the overall quality of gameplay.
Consider this tip as a finishing touch that you can add to all of the adjustments you can make to improve gameplay.
The technical tips you just learned will definitely help you to be a better Fortnite player. But that’s not all. The technical part is just a drop in the ocean! Discover more useful hacks and tips on how to get better at Fortnite (read now).
To get the best out of Fortnite on Mac:
- Ensure that you have at least the minimum required system requirements
- If your system does not meet the minimum requirements, you can try other options like cloud gaming
- Install the Windows operating system as an alternative option
- Also, make some minor tweaks to increase the performance of your overall computer system
With the increase in popularity of Fortnite over the past year, it is only right that we help users on each platform to be able to have optimum performance in gameplay. Mac users can access this as their “go to” guide for tips on how to get the best out of Fortnite on Mac.
Have you ever used one of those tips while playing Fortnite on your Mac? One more thing, how do you deal with lag during game play on Mac? Let me know in the comments below.